The Mas de La Chapelle was once a Priory of the Order of Knights of Malta, a semi-religious and military community formed in the Middle Ages to ensure the transportation and safety of pilgrims traveling from Europe to the Holy Land. This Order received the possessions of the Knights of the Temple when they were suppressed by King Philippe le Bel. In 1615, the land was ruled by the Grand Priory of the language of Provence (what is currently the Réattu d'Arles Museum) who owned 48 command posts and managed more than 20,000 hectares in the region. The Mas de la Chapelle was built in the 16th century on a small hill in the Arlesian countryside. It is bordered on the east side by the Montmajour Abbey marshes and cut-across by the via Aurélienne which served as an embankment to the Rhône. The Mas de La Chapelle has always been a busy inn (bégaude in Provençal) as Arles was one of the four starting points for the Camino françese route of the Pilgrims of Saint-Jacques de Compostelle. This fact is corroborated by the name given to the farm of the domain: La Coquille ("The Shell"), the symbol of these Pilgrims.
Cancellation is possible until any time of day 1 day prior to the check-in date without penalty.
A cancellation after that time or a no-show, will incur a penalty of 1 night's stay.
Be the first one.